Why Run For Office?
Serving on the Board of BCLTA provides trustees the opportunity to contribute to the library community at a provincial level. The diversity of individuals on the Board, and the exchange of ideas, provides an excellent opportunity for personal growth. This in turn enriches your board as you provide new information and ideas.
The BCLTA is governed by a Board of nine (eight if no Past President) and work of the Board is supported by an Executive Director and Administrative Assistant.
BCLTA BOARD POSITIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
President (1) - two year term
- General supervision of all Association affairs;
- Lobby on behalf of public libraries for financial support from the provincial government
- Supervision of the Executive Director
- Presides at all meetings
- Maintains close liaison with other library bodies – e.g. Public Library Services Branch, British Columbia Library Association, Association of British Columbia Public Library Directors
- Automatically assumes the office of the Past President
Vice President (1) - one year term appointed from directors
- Assist with organization of BC Library reception during UBCM in September
- Production of lobbying package
- Responsible for the Advocacy Committee (Policy Manual, Section 5)
Secretary Treasurer (1) - two year term
- Membership fees review
- Keep and maintain accurate records of all expenses and incomes
- Prepare annual budget
- Ensure filing of all Annual Reports as required by the Registrar of Companies
- Responsible for Finance Committee (Policy Manual, Section 7)
Directors (6) - (two year term) Responsible for the following duties to be assigned
Duties are divided between Directors and may include:
- Education - Guidance of the development of BCLTA education programs
- Conference - Involvement in the planning and delivery of the annual BCLTA conference
- Awards - Responsible for soliciting all member libraries for award recipients on an ongoing basis; responsible for reviewing and recording all nominations and submitting them to the BCLTA Board for selection
- Communication – contributes articles and topics for publication; facilitates communications to various regions of the province
Past President (1) - automatic position
- Acts as Chair of the Nominating Committee to seek nominations of qualified members
- Responsible for the Annual General meeting arrangements
- Gives continuity and expertise to the new president
Nominations From the Floor
Nominations from the Floor are permitted, however, the nomination should have two members in good standing with the BCLTA and the consent of the nominee in person or writing.
All votes are conducted by a secret ballot at the Annual General Meeting. In the event that only one nomination is received for a position, that individual shall be declared elected by acclamation.
Where voting is by ballot, Scrutineers will be appointed by the President. The Scrutineers shall distribute the ballots, count the ballots and report the result of the election to the Chair of the Nominations Committee. The Chair of the Nominations Committee shall report the results of the elections to the members in attendance.
PART 21 TERMS OF OFFICE (Constitution and ByLaws)
- The term of office for Directors and the Secretary/Treasurer shall be two years.
- The term of office for President shall be two years: and Vice-President shall be one year. (May 2007)
- The year 2003 shall be a transition year for implementation of the two-year term of office for Directors. At the Annual General Meeting for the year 2003, three (3) Directors shall be elected for a one-year term and three (3) Directors shall be elected for a two-year term. Commencing in 2004 and continuing thereafter, three (3) Directors shall be elected for a two-year term at the Annual General Meeting.
- The term of office for the Past President shall be one year.
When are Elections Held
Elections are held at the BCLTA Annual General Meeting each year.